Friday, March 7, 2014

Angry Comedian Philosophers


Mel Brooks once described the roll of the “Stand-up Philosopher” (comedian) as “one who coalesces the vapor the human experience into a viable and logical comprehension.”  George Carlin defined the comedian as one who “thinks up goofy shit.”

Today’s popular comedians seem…well…angry.  When you have to start every sentence with: “You know who else I hate…”  And the list goes on for fifteen to twenty minutes alienating just about everyone.  Or the comedian needs to point out everything as if it were obvious, and “weren't you stupid for not realizing it.”

I’m really not saying that they are wrong for being angrier than in the past.  In my opinion, there seems to be a lot more to be angrier at.  In this powerful information age, we seem to know a lot more about a lot more things.  We have cameras everywhere and can transmit information faster than ever before and more channels to convey them.


I don’t want to get angry when I see a comedian anymore.  I get angry enough watching the news.  You know what I hate?  I hate people who go on with “…and you know who else I hate?”

No comments:

Post a Comment